Monday, October 9, 2023

Yvonne Yu - ATCM 3355.001 Project 2 Flashlight Sleeve

Concept:

adventure time lamb relic & animal crossing star fragment

The concept of my flashlight is inspired by the lamb relic from Adventure Time and the star fragment from Animal Crossing. I wanted to create a design that is fun, calming, and reminiscent of elements in the sky such as stars, clouds, and angels.

Process: 

ghosted with make2D

ghosted layers

Utilizing the flashlight template file, I started creating the star holes by Projecting curves I drew, Extruding, and then BooleanDiff them from the sleeve. I created the lambs by using various SubD shapes (cylinders, ellipsoids, and cones), adding pipes for the eyes and mouth, and then used BooleanUnion to piece them together. I created the wings with Spiral and then the Round Cap Pipe. Once I finished one lamb, I reflected the lamb onto the other side so there would be two. The star fragment was created by positioning and mirroring the SubD Truncated Cone around to create star-like shape. I then BooleanDiff a sphere from the center to create more room and reduce the weight of the top. I added two Pipes to the bottom of the flashlight to balance out the top and mimic the shape of a cloud. I elongated the sleeve and added a screw mechanism using cylinders, Helix, and BooleanDiff to allow me to remove the flashlight if needed. 


keyshot off & on renders

keyshot close-up
 

In Keyshot, I added a Glass Heavy Frost to the star fragment and adjusted the color to be more yellow. I used a Plastic Cloudy Rough material for the body and the bottom pipes and changed the colors accordingly. For the sheep I used Hard Rough Plastic and adjusted the colors based on the different elements. I added a sphere inside the star fragment and use and Emissive material to mimic the glow of the flashlight.

Materials:

 

post processed flashlight on & off

post processed flashlight

I used a glittery filament for my print to add to the fun, magical concept of my sleeve. After printing, I sanded the sleeve and flashlight to fit. Using a dremel, I cleaned up smaller areas of my print and added holes in the star fragment and lambs so I could insert small magnets. I colored my sleeve with alcohol markers to tint the material while maintaining the glittery effect of the filament. I used a white primer spray on the sheep to help fill some of the texture and make painting on them with paint markers and acrylic paint easier. I finished the print off with some Triple Thick Clear Glaze and a bit of pearlescent nail polish to bring it all together. I explored a lot of new techniques with modeling and post processing with this project, so I was able to learn a lot. If I went back, I would adjust the screw thread and play around with other colors.


No comments:

Post a Comment