Monday, October 2, 2023

Evan Cohen ATCM 3355.001: Week 1 Castle-Tower






Project Brief

Concept:

I iterated through many different tower models and ended up with this one primarily for its simplicity and I also enjoy the flowing curves and fillets I added to the model. Initially, I aimed to design a tower that resembled modern towers in large metropolitan cities such as the Dallas Reunion Tower. While designing, I found additional inspiration from the architecture of lighthouses and observatories and additionally noticed how my model resembles the form of a bell which I like and find unique.

Process:

This project took a lot of work on my part as I mainly taught myself the software on my own. In the process, I made many different models learning how to better model using the software all the while until I reached this final model. I worked in grasshopper a lot in my earlier models but they were mainly too complex and after learning more about utilizing the commands revolve and fillet edge, I was able to refine my design to its current state. In Rhino, I began by creating a unique and interesting side profile polyline which I then used revolve to create the 3D form. After, I used fillet edge to sculpt the 3D geometry to my liking.

Materials:

For materials, I decided to go with a palette that would match my theme of modern architecture and thus used white concrete and a nice-looking blue-tinted glass which would be realistic for modern buildings. The overall effect is sophisticated and modern.


No comments:

Post a Comment