Monday, April 13, 2020

Andrew Rowan: Prosthetic Model

Concept: For this project I pushed the current condition of the world into a future where viruses like Covid-19 are the norm. One way to adapt to an airborne virus like this would be to breathe through filters in our cheeks. This way there is no way to allow viruses passage into our airways. There is also a style feature integrated allowing customization of masks. The filter covers on the cheek and the the mouth cover would be the main two areas. The mouth cover is transparent so people can tell who is talking.

Techniques: I used the techniques shown in teh videos to lay out curves of the mask and make them into surfaces. Then I went into grasshopper to create the voronoi mesh on the filters. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the voronoi definition to work properly. It has to do with the bounding box intersecting the voronoi lines that are being lofted. To fix this I scaled a second surface slightly and put a bounding box around that. I want to find a better solution but this worked well enough.


Material: For the materials I tried to imagine a fashionable take on a generally unfashionable product. I used a black plastic base with a slightly rough texture. The bar in front of the mouth is colored metal with a brushed texture. The area around the mouth is transparent plastic to allow others to see the wearer talking. The voronoi filter cover is a semi transparent blue plastic to give it some depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment