Monday, April 27, 2020

Andrew Psencik: Architectonic Lamp

Concept:

My main inspiration for this project was the helmet of the Mandalorian from the TV series. This helmet is simple but is very defining in its few details, which I think would look good as a lamp. I used the schematic above to help with the initial modeling and the position of the visor. Obviously, most of the detail was overlooked so the lamp could not look too busy.


Process:

I started creating the main mesh to be,"piped," by creating the outside shape with curves and lofted the remaining side part indentation. This proved to be quite difficult as all the curves were complicated and non-planar which added some warping that I had to fix. After I finished the main model I simply followed the tutorials and piped the model with success. 


Materials:

Using Keyshot, I simply used a dark wood material as that would be what I would use to create the lamp in person. I then added a simple light to help portray how the lamp would actually work. I then used a dark plastic for the visor and I'm not sure how I could replicate that in person. Overall I was pleased with the look of the lamp, especially how the bottom is not flat and rests at an interesting angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment