Sunday, April 12, 2020

Jack Purcell: Prosthetic Accessory

Concept:
For my prosthetic accessory I wanted to create something mounted to the body rather than something to replace a part of the body. I brainstormed analogue non-digital devices that could be 3D printed or manufactured without needing complicated electronics. In the end I came up with the idea of a wrist mounted crossbow.

Process:
A variety of processes were used to create this model. I projected lines onto the arm mesh to create cross-sections which I then rebuilt and lofted to create a sort of nurbs sleeve on the arm. I offset the sleeve to create the cuff that attaches the crossbow to the wrist. Using more lofts and boolean differences I created the platform that the crossbow attaches to. Using extruded curves, booleans and edge fillets I created the rest of the crossbow using the bend command to achieve the arches in the bow component.

Materials:
I used colors that would just differentiate the components. However this could be constructed of plastic and rubber to make a toy, but if materials like elastic, leather, metal, and wood it could be a real weapon.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment