Sunday, April 12, 2020

Hayden Staples: Prosthetic Renders

Concept:

For as much as I like the spooky aesthetic of the plague doctor masks, for this particular outbreak, I don't think having doctors freaking us out is the best solution. So for the color schemes, I tried to make the masks very vibrant and colorful. 
For the first one, I made the bird mask the color of a really bright and colorful bird I found on the internet. I think the bright yellow color is reminiscent of Big Bird which definitely checks off the  "Kid Friendly" checkbox.

 For my second mask, I wanted it to look very colorful. When I was brainstorming different palettes my grandmother delivered a box of candy to my house(from six feet apart) and I got my inspiration.

Process

I did the bird mask primarily through the rendering in passes process from the last project we did. I wanted the yellow to look almost neon, so for the render Pass I did of the lights, I cranked up the intensity and the fill opacity to be sure to get that nice shine on the mask.

I made the Candy Mask through a combination of the built-in Render features inside of Rhino and the Render Passes techniques we learned before. The first step I did for this image was to find a backdrop I liked a lot. When I found the Candy Background, I moved the lights in the Rhino viewport so that the reflection on the mask closely resembled the reflection on the candy. Then I rendered out multiple images, the three most important being, one with ambient occlusion, one with the scene lighting, and another that had the head geometry visible. In photoshop I tweaked the shadows until they were the looked right and then I added a gradient layer mask to the head geometry so the top of it was see-through.

No comments:

Post a Comment