Monday, April 27, 2020

Hayden Staples: Architectonic Lamp

Concept:

For my lamp, I wanted to make a design with a square shade that incorporated the ideas from modern abstract art: shapes blending together to make aesthetically appealing appearances.

Process:

Form Comparison

Layers

To build the massed object, I used a method similar to the way we built the flashlight model: revolving a curve around an axis. Then, I built a cube around the top half of the revolved shape and boolean split both objects along a curve in the side view. I then joined the two objects together. To get the middle hollowed out, I made a curve, revolved it, and then subtracted that volume from the lamp. Then I used the method described in the videos to make the ribs.

Renders:

Render 1
For my first Render, I imported a desk model and a computer model from free3D.com to give my lamp a digital location to exist in. Then I built a house around it and gave materials to the desk computer and the lamp. This version of the lamp has burnt copper for the vertical pieces and green brushed metal for the radial slices. These are the UTD colors because I was feeling a little homesick. There is a setting sun, a light inside the lamp, and a third lamp from the "roof" of the house.
Render 2
My second render is a lot sleeker than my previous version and has shiny dark gray radial slices with translucent-lavender plexiglass ribs. In Photoshop I used 5 different passes to emphasize transparency and reflections while making the color pop. This render also has the make 2D drawings, dimensions and unrolled slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment