Friday, April 10, 2020

Hayden Staples: Prosthetic Mass Model

Concept:

With all the chaos surrounding COVID-19 and the need for people to wear masks, I decided to make my model after the Victorian Era Plague Doctor masks--truly the most fashionable and practical masks of human history. The typical Mask would only go to the bottom lip and the rest of the head would be covered with a cowl and hat. I decided to make my mask look a little more modern and sleek so I made it have geometric corners where it attached to the head and added a red cross inscription on the headpiece.

Process:

To start, I drew out a side profile of the plague doctor mask on a sheet of paper so I could better visualize the curves and how it attached to the face.
MASK
 I remade the lines digitally and projected them onto the male-head model. Then I created a cross-section of how it sloped down the nose and I patched and offset the surface to make the faceplate. I also used Trim and EdgeSrf to make the middle of the mask slope smoothly. I then copied the red cross logo as a series of curves and Pipe Differenced the cross onto the mask.
GOGGLES
I projected circles onto the mask and then I piped them until they were the appropriate size. For the band between them, I projected two lines on top of both the Torus shapes and the mask and then using the projected rectangle shape, I offset a surface to create the solid.
BEAK
I made the upper and lower beak similarly to how I made the mask. I duplicated the border of the mask to get the starting position for the upper beak, made the signature swooping side profile for and then a third curve side curve. Then I Patched it and mirrored it to get the full beak. I personalized the Trim & EdgeSrf technique that I used on the mask so that the sloping happened at different angles. This way, it looked more like a real organic beak while still coming to a point at the bottom.

BEAK BANDS
This was the most arduous process of the whole model. The first Band occurs between the mask and the upper beak. For this Band, I duplicated the edge of the bottom mask, and then I scaled it larger and proceeded to project it on top of the mask. I did the same process with the border at the edge of the upper beak. Then I took these two curves, connected the ends of them in an arching slope and patched then offset the surface. The second Band I did was the one that connects the top beak to the second beak along the crease. this was the most difficult band. Is started the same way I  made the beak: three curves that covered the basic shape I wanted. however, when I would create this shape, the geometry would cut into itself because of the different angles of the two beaks. I ended up using the Sweep 2 command and used similar but different shaped cross-sections at the various parts of the beak. This ensured that the shape created would not cut into the geometry. The third band is the one that is a quarter length from the end of the beak. To make this one, I projected two lines onto the Long band and the two beaks. Then I rebuilt and edited the projected curves so there were only two closed curves that went around the circumference of the beak and middle band. Then I used Loft to create the surface and offset the surface to make a solid.
STRAPS
I made the straps the same way the professor did in his tutorial videos. I decided tho make it connect with the back of the head rather than over the ear like aI had in my drawing because that would be a crazy shape.



No comments:

Post a Comment