Monday, April 13, 2020

Nadeem Dahduli - Flatlab

Concept

My model is a romanticized CD case organizer. I wanted to create something functional for my project, something that looks attractive. The idea came to mind when I looked under my entertainment center and saw my video game boxes all lying on the floor. We don't bother to put them up because we are always changing between them. So I thought if there a better way to keep the boxes out but properly. Hence, I came up with the modern disc case organizer.


Techniques

I began in Flatlab by creating my first shape, this shape was going to determine the design of the entire object. That shape is the large center piece that is holding the object together. I wanted it to be double sided but did not want the typical shelf-look. In order to fix this I came up with a disconnected shelf piece for the cases to sit on. This gives the object more space and a much more modern style. I then proceeded to import the slabs into Illustrator and the model into Rhino for rendering.




Materials

For my materials, I wanted to give it a wooden texture, however given the lack of experience with Rhino's rendering software, I managed to imitate it through the use of color. Most if the structure is plaster with the exception of the dividers which are clear plastic. I am an admirer of accenting colors which explains the blue shade on part of the project. As brown is a dark shade of orange so I complimented it with a subtle dark blue. Unfortunately, due to limited processing power on my computer, I was unable to play with lighting as much as the materials. In order to know if I the render was right I would need to render it first which takes tremendous amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment