Monday, April 13, 2020

Ivy Skross: 3D Print

Concept:

My 3D print design is a deconstructed sphere made out of knots. The model is made out of two spheres: one on the inside and one on the outside. The inside sphere is a very precise pattern where spacing is equal throughout. It has stems coming from certain points on the inside which connect and hold the inner and outer spheres. The outer sphere is less of a pattern and takes a more organic look. I wanted to imitate how tree roots look but if they were shaped into a rubber band ball-like shape.


Techniques:

The model was created with TopMod. I used cubes and the different selection tools to extend the various knots that create the twisting shapes in my model. After the initial shape was complete, I smoothed out the shape to give it a smooth, round shape. I then took it into Rhino to get the STL file ready for 3D printing. I sent my print to Shapeways for them to print because I wanted the print to be sturdy and professional grade. I rendered the object in Keyshot and then used passes to make the final snapshot in photoshop.




Materials

For the render, the material I used was brass which I edited later in photoshop to mute the shiny material a bit. For the 3D print, I chose to print with processed versatile plastic in a bright orange color. I intended for my print to be a nice ornament for my patio table so I thought the orange color would pop against green grass and trees and look interesting.






No comments:

Post a Comment