Monday, April 27, 2020

Twinkle Shah: Final Project: Architectonic Lamp




Architectonic Lamp:Tree Stump Lamp 

Concept
The inspiration for this project came from a piece of furniture that I have in my room: a small table that is made from a cross-section of a tree. I think the shape of the table is very beautiful and I love how organic it is. I derived the inspiration of the base of my lamp from the shape of this table, and built it up so that it looked like a tree stump. Once I made the radial and horizontal components, the structure had some architectonic qualities. 
Tree Stump Table


Tree stump - Wikipedia
Tree Stump

Process
To begin building this lamp, I drew a closed curve that had an organic shape that resembled my table. I then drew another similar shape, and stacked that on top. I created a loft from those two curves. I then duplicated both of the curves and then scaled them down to fit within the outer loft. I then created a second smaller loft inside the bigger one. After that, I did a BooleanDifference to make a hole shaped like the inner loft, within the outer loft.
From this Massing model, I produced vertical and horizontal components using the Contour and Section commands. Then, I used the piping method to make all the intersections into 2 pipes each. After that, I created notches using the Split command with the pipes and the horizontal and vertical components. The result was a lamp that looks like it could be a building too.

Massing Model Painted Black 

Planar Layers Painted

Perspective Lamp with Orthographic Views

Detail Perspective View of Lamp with Cutsheets


Materials
The materials I used in Rhino Renderer were Crackle Porcelain for the horizontal components, and Zebrano wood for the vertical components. I really liked the textures of these two materials, and thought that their colors and textures complemented each other very well. The wood grain along with the porous crackle helped achieve a nice variety and contrast. I think a real lamp made of these materials would be beautiful because of how the materials would interact with the light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment