Monday, September 8, 2014

Cruse_Week 1

Like Sowmya, I also did a variation of a female torso. I wanted to pair my work in chance aesthetics with my academic figurative work. I'm looking at Picabia's Conversation II as an influence.


So to keep the circle reference that usually shows up in my eMedia work I'll make a variation of my edited Rothko below.

My sculpture of the female torso would be more realistic than Picabia's..I'm not sure how far into this piece I'll end up getting by the end of the semester but to make it have more tension like my other works I'd like to add something more morose or macabre like one emaciated torso or skeleton to counter the lighthearted background. I'm leaning more toward the emaciated torso though, I feel like the empathy of the pain of the living out weighs the connection with a skeleton, that way the spirit of the piece can lead discussion to different areas of health and life.


4 comments:

  1. Nice model. I would like to get a sense of the mesh and its density. An area of exploration that you might consider for this model is its surface tessellation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about that but kept running into dead ends trying to enhance the concept I feel like tessalating it would just be gimmicky or using the tools to use the tools without reason. Do you have any suggestions how tessalation could make it a stronger idea?

      Delete
  2. My suggestion was to find a way to open the form so that it activates space unless your end-goal is to mold and cast your 3d print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning how to mold and cast would be incredible to learn in this class if you would teach us, I know there are a few of us really interested in that. For your suggestion, do you mean something like making her a pelt and presenting her like a bear skin rug? Or is the tessellation's purpose to make the surface of the item different from everything else in the room to make it stand out by contrast?

      Delete