Sunday, September 7, 2014

Andrew Kelly: Project 1: Karmic Decay

Following are two views of my finished project, and the verification from shapeways. (one ring on the front flat surface is missing in the maya renders - the final iteration of the file, which differed only on that one point, got corrupted):
Perspective view showing the front of the model
 Perspective view showing the back/side of the model


Week one progress
I'm pleased with how it's turning out, but I feel like the sense of motion I desired initially is lacking. I wanted to portray an ebbing flow through a system, with the flow passing through the largest circular piece, partially recycled by the exterior tubes and partially lost by the reaching front tubes.

The grid spacing is 1", putting the figure at about 4 inches across, with completely clean geometry and correct normals.

Critiques, comments, or advice on how to better portray motion on a static model are appreciated!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thematic description
     I wanted to make a piece that would symbolize my own energy. I wanted it to remind me of an important dream I had a few weeks prior to the assignment of the project, in which I was the center of a decaying cycle. I had to continue to exert myself in waves to keep the flow in equilibrium, to resist losing myself to my environment. With this dream of flow and balance in mind, this model was made and refined over the course of the project. The catalyzing ring and the loops of energy that loose mass in the loose ends but are replenished by the ring as they near a full cycle. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Modeling Techniques
     For this project I utilized surface-based poly-modeling techniques in Maya, manipulating loops, rings, extrusions, 'bridges,' (similar/identical to lofting, but for polys) as well as a good deal of point movement and merging to get the edge flow to be as clean as it is with so many intersecting tubes and cylinders.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It arrived!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work. My first question would be what is the model and what is your intent for it. That will inform both our appreciation for what you have done and lay the basis for suggestions moving forward Consider using deformers to achieve the movement and motion you spread of.

    ReplyDelete