Saturday, September 27, 2014

Sean Lenox - Project 2: Flashlight Sleeve

Week 5:

A friend of mine introduced me to the polar array, which led to me sticking shapes all over the flashlight and polar arraying them around it. As I added shapes to my flashlight it started looking pretty silly, so I started modeling it to look like a kids' toy. Showing it to Blake in class I remarked that it looked like "a rocket ship," and he suggested I add some jet engines to the sides. One Keyshot render later, we have a pastel rocket ship-esque toy flashlight.






I used bright, plasticy materials to give it a toy-ish look. I stuck with the default Keyshot background, as I felt it offered the best lighting and made the model easy to see.

I am unsure if the engines are secured enough for printing or if they'll just break right off. I used the gray cylinders to secure them to the body more, so hopefully they'll be safe for printing. Apparently, there are also some naked edges inside the sleeve. I might have to find a way to fix these.

Week 6: Shapeways confirmation

Neither the weird shapes nor the naked edges were a problem! My sleeve has been confirmed and will be printed and shipped shortly.


Week 7: I'm a big idiot

Upon looking at my fellow classmates' sleeves and receiving my own, I have come to the awful conclusion that my sleeve is twice the size it should be. Apparently there was more to this model than just following that flashlight tutorial. Upon revisiting the week 4 folder, I discovered a file containing guidelines for the dimensions the flashlight sleeve should actually have. I slapped my model in there and resized it, fixing the naked edges and giving it the proper dimensions.





Uploading this new model to Shapeways reveals that it costs a much more modest 40 dollars. It's a shame I already ordered the other one.


I'm trying to see if I can get this printed at the school tech store in time for the midterm. If I can't, I might just bring it later to show that I did in fact realize my mistake and print a new one. In the meantime I'll bring the giant one to class tomorrow and we can all laugh at it. I might pack some tissue paper in there to bring the flashlight up, or something. Goodness gracious.

Week 8: The 2nd print

The re-print of the correctly-scaled flashlight is finished! Here are some photos (I had this one printed at the Tech Store on campus).






No comments:

Post a Comment