Monday, September 29, 2014

Daedra Evans: Project One: "Losing My Religion"

                In Project One, I wanted to create an intricate mix of multiple religious and powerful symbols. I bean researching various symbols of power and religion to determine what symbols I wanted to use.I wanted to incorporate symbols of both pagan  and Christian religions. I referenced belief systems and religions from alchemy, astrology, paganism, Celtic, Christianity, and Judaism.

               The main structure consisted of a circle which symbolizes wholeness, female power, the sun, and oneness. I needed to also include the symbol for fire which represents both my temperament and Astrological sign of Aries. Being drawn to fire, and always understanding its nature it needed to be an integral part of this sculpture. The triangle I found was symbolic of fire. The curved horns would also represent the Aries in Astrology within my piece. I used a squared cross withing the circle to create the sacred circle in native American religion representing the energy of the goddess. The cross is a well-know Christian symbol as well representing Jesus's sacrifice to his people. The cross and circle are also representative of the Celtic cross.

                I found many references online, but the most influential was from the following site: reference links . The images below are just a few of the reference images I used to create the entire piece.

 
 
 
 




                 The title of the piece refers to the idea that almost all religions at their hear have the same values and ideas. I wanted to wipe away the specifics of these religions and really focus on the symbols that translate throughout all of them. I did not want to focus on one religion, but on the beauty and good of these chosen in the piece. Some of the happy accidents that occurred created a stronger narrative within the piece. Naming the piece after a quirky REM song summarized this playful, yet serious piece of art. I love the idea of playing with important symbols and warping them into something more capricious and fun.
_________________________________________________________________________________

                    I modeled the entire piece in Maya to create the level of intricacy needed for each of the symbols within this project. I started out creating a circle for the first portion of the model. I made sure that the walls were thick enough to send to the 3D printing location. I then modeled the triangle and snapped the triangle to the circle. Once the two sections were created, I then created a square cross lining this portion of the model up with the other two parts. The final portion of the model was a curved ram horn to represent the Aries portion of the model. I snapped this portion to the other sections of the model. finally I grabbed all the models and duplicated them on the Z axis. I merged the model to create one model, and then duplicated each section at a 45 degree angle.

                   The thing I found interesting is that when I created all aspects of the model the duplication formed a Star of David at the top of the model which I was very excited about. Below you will find a perspective, top angled side, and side on view of the model.









_________________________________________________________________________________

                          I imported my model into KeyShot to create a rendered image of the model, and to choose materials. I wanted to play with more metallic materials letting the simplicity of the material show off the piece. the piece was created very small to be worn as a pendant or piece of jewelry, and I did not want overly complicated materials to muddy the aesthetics. I chose a copper colored metal with different grains to give the model more texture and difference. the various grains and striations in the metal create  a unique experience each time the object is rotated and viewed.  I have included the perspective, top, side, and angled-side view below.












_________________________________________________________________________________

                          I sent my model to Shapeways after many iterations due to size and walls that were too thin. I finally increased the size of the model and thickened the walls to create a more solid structure. I received my model last week, and it looked really good. I was really impressed with the 3D printing process and the results.


________________________________________________________________________________

The 3D print of the pendant was printed well with the white flexible plastic which gave the pendant an intricate, but strong feel.  The various shapes and designs within the model printed nicely making each angle create a different view. 



No comments:

Post a Comment