Monday, September 29, 2014

Daedra Evans Project Two: Flashlight Sleeve



The inspiration for my flashlight project was taken from the British TV show "Doctor Who." I used a portion of the show's most notorious enemy, the Dalek, to make my flashlight sleeve.  I wanted to take a piece of the Dalek which is considered to be the most ruthless, evil enemy in the Doctor Who Universe, and make it's iconic eye an insignificant object. I found something comical and ironic about taking the input device of such a feared and hated pop- culture entity, and turning it into something as mundane as a flashlight. I used the following pictures for reference images, and inspiration, inspiration.  The title of the project, "Exterminate" is the words that the Daleks use in the show while they attempt to ethnically cleanse the human race from the universe. Daleks find humans genetically inferior, and therefore of no real intrinsic value, so therefore they must all be exterminated. 


 _________________________________________________________________________________

I started modeling the sleeve in Maya to create the rounded edges in the lens area of the flashlight. I then imported the model into Rhino where I followed the template to create the base of the model. I needed to widen the tube of the model to fit the flashlight. Adjusting the model to both fit the aesthetic I wanted to create and mold to the template was fun. The importance of keeping the model within the template was critical, but I believe creating the essence of the Dalek eye stalk was also achieved. Once I scaled and placed all the pieces of the model in Rhino, I fused the models and performed  a boolean difference for the insides of the flashlight tube. Below are the Ghosted images of the flashlight sleeve from the side, top, and tilted perspective.











_________________________________________________________________________________

The model was imported into KeyShot from Rhino, and I set up a basic lighting surface and scene. I used a lot of metallic textures from KeyShot to symbolize the cold, sterile nature of the Daleks in Doctor Who. The black portion of the model is made from a glossy plastic that was in the original, 1960's version of the Dalek.The blue sleeves or ridges around the base of the flashlight are a baby blue metallic texture to create a cohesive look. the light blue lens is also traditional to the original monster in the show. I wanted to combine both old and new materials in the flashlight sleeve to represent the evolution of the Dalek, and its degradation into a mundane flashlight used by the insignificant humans Daleks hate.  









_________________________________________________________________________________

I sent the model at the end of September, and it was originally to arrive on October 7th, but an email from Shapeways was sent to me stating the shipment was delayed. I can post the email if it is necessary.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I finally received my flashlight sleeve! I really like how it turned out, it feels really comfortable to hold and the deign turned out nicely as well!










No comments:

Post a Comment