Sunday, September 14, 2014

Nicolas Vallier: Project 1 Gear

Inspiration:

Doctor Who Series 8 (2014) Opening Title Sequence [HD] 


My model is a slightly alien looking gear/clock, which takes some influence from the opening of the current Doctor Who title sequence (Seen above). The direction I might be taking with this would involve making ancient artifacts that have some sort of inspiration from several of my favorite Television shows and Video games as a series of pieces. 

I crafted this in Maya. I used the cylinder tool and cut the insides using the insert edge loop tool. Then, once I made one gear, I copied it and edited it to fit in as other gears.  

Here is the gear unsmoothed and smoothed:

Week 2/3: Update:

 Smoothed Wireframe:

  Smoothed:

Unsmoothed Wireframe:

Unsmoothed:

In Rhino, Ghosted with no naked edges:

I decided to add more gears on the outside of the original gear. I'm pretty happy with how it looks now.

Keyshot 1

Keyshot 2

The gear has been delivered. 

Update:
I ordered my gear from Shapeways and it has passed everything. It should be around 3-4 inches in diameter.

2 comments: