Monday, September 22, 2014

Sowmya Rajendran: Project 2: Flashlight Sleeve

___________________________________________________________
Week 4:

So last week I followed some of the Rhino tutorials a couple of times in order to get used to the commands and program. It was a bit difficult at first, but I think I'm getting a hang of it. I also started on the flashlight sleeve, but I just have the basic shape down for now. I was a little stuck on what kind of design I wanted, but I finally settled on making a robot character for my flashlight sleeve. I made the base cylinder with the correct dimensions on Rhino first and then imported the template & model into Maya. 

For this week, I'm going to continue working on the main components of the sleeve on Maya and then export the model back into Rhino to add finer details (since there are so many cool commands on Rhino to add details fairly easily and quickly).


___________________________________________________________
Week 5:

Decided to go on a different route this week...Since the last project focused heavily on asymmetry, I thought I'd switch it up a little. I was inspired by the different patterns on the wings of butterflies; their symmetrical nature reminded me so much of the Rorschach inkblot tests. I thought I could fuse both ideas & replicate an inkblot design with a Monarch butterfly pattern for the flashlight sleeve
http://tjmoss.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/rorschach_blot_05-copy.jpg
One of the original Rorschach inkblot tests
http://www.gpnc.org/images/jpegs/animals/monarchf.jpg
Monarch Butterfly

Last week, I thought I would use Maya to model out my flashlight sleeve, but I decided to stick with Rhino, since it had more useful tools for what I wanted to achieve. First, I made the butterfly pattern in Illustrator and imported the paths into Rhino, extruded, and used a handy command called FlowAlongSrf to wrap the design around the flashlight base. I also made some cylinders and placed them around the sleeve to create a symmetrical design and then booleaned those out as well. 

Final design (Ghosted View)
No Naked Edges found. Woot!
___________________________________________________________
Week 6:
Preparing my file for rendering...

Here are the final KeyShot renders! I used a plastic material with a complementary color palette (orange/blue). Orange was used for the interior so that the little hole details could be easily seen. Pretty excited to see how it will print out!


___________________________________________________________
Week 7:

Here is the final model, printed at the tech store! Really like how  the details came out.


  
___________________________________________________________

1 comment:

  1. Nice start. You should be a little further along. As your project develops continue to add the new information to this post.

    ReplyDelete