Monday, January 30, 2017

Jason Doze: Week 3 Flashlight


 Ghosted/Edges


 Exploded/Layers


 Shot 1


Shot 2


Shot 1


Shot 2


 Concept: My first idea was to model a light saber and then I realized that was most likely the least creative thing I could do.  So instead, I decided to make something that made sense for the sleeve of this flashlight.  Since the flashlight is so small I thought I would try to optimize its grip for an adults hand.  I noticed while gripping the light that I could really only get 3 fingers around it, so I designed the sleeve with that in mind, making 3 large grooves for my fingers to grip around.  Then I added the ellipse cutouts making horizontal grooves that are reminiscent of a billet motorcycle handle.


Technique:  I took the original template curve provided and sketched 1 curve, alt dragged it twice and scaled up 2 of them leaving one small.  Then I revolved that template and used filet to smooth it out. I used ArrayPolar to multiply my objects around the axis and boolean difference with ellipse, sphere, and truncated cone to notch out the sleeve. Then I did a filet on the top inside, outside, on the edge of the spheres, and again at the bottom of the sleeve.  

Materials:  I wanted to go with a shiny metal so I used chrome for the sleeve, brushed copper for the top notches, anodized black for the horizontal ridges, brushed aluminum for the sphere notches and brushed copper for the truncated cone notches.  I tried many combinations of metals and textures with bumps as well as color combinations of anodized brushed metals but I think for this project that less is more and it helps the sleeve achieve a solid and strong look.  I wanted to add an emitter for the flashlight end of the sleeve but I'll have to look that tutorial up at another time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment