Sunday, January 29, 2017

Randall Villegas: Week 2-3 Duck

Design- There are a lot of Pez Dispenser designs and a simple duck seemed to be a perfect Pez Dispenser topper. I wanted something that really looked functional while still being whimsical. I didn't want to keep the typical Pez lettering that is on the side of the dispensers, so I decided 'quack' would be a fitting word to fit the dispenser and give a similar aesthetic as the original design.

Techniques- I used similar techniques that were used in the tutorial for the duck itself, grabbing and pulling control points on spheres. I made the bill separately as opposed to pulling it from the head like in the video, I wanted it to really look pieced together. For the Pez Dispenser, I drew out the outline of the two halves with the line tool and extruded them to a height I saw fit. This goes for all the dispenser pieces, including the clear plastic interior pieces. The letter were made using the Textobject tool. I had to adjust the letters vertically after creating as I didn't see an option for vertical output, but after that I pulled it against the dispenser and used boolean union to make a single pieces. the vertical lines were created using a boolean difference on the letters with long boxes. For the candy, I made a square using the line tool, filleted the edges, and extruded to get the shape. finally I duplicated and scaled the extruded object down to create an object to boolean difference a small hole in the candy.



Materials- I used a hard rough plastic texture for the dispenser and duck with some color changes when necessary. The candy was a rough plastic with a desaturated orange color, a decrease in specularity and increase in roughness.


No comments:

Post a Comment