Sunday, January 22, 2017

Rebecca Genung: Week 1 Duck


I've always liked the dual imagery of a black swan and a trumpeter/mute swan so I suppose I can say that black swans are my favorite waterfowl (Is that a thing? Do people have favorite waterfowl?). I also thought back to glass statues I've seen in shelves. Normally a swan is either in the heart-neck shape expressed by the birds in real life or they have their wings partially visible. I wanted to emulate the latter. I also find black swans themselves to be very beautiful and underrated.
I'm afraid my model is rather derpy in comparison to the real thing...

I immediately wanted to make a swan rather than a duck and planned accordingly. I made the beak thinner and the neck longer.  I was thinking trumpeter swan at first because their beaks are only one color, but when the tutorial talked about cutting the model and splitting the shapes to have multiple colors I thought about using a swan with more than one color on their beak. I then thought about how black swans have two colors on their wings as well and decided to add wings to the model via drawing them out, extruding, and cutting the two colors. The beak color is also done through cutting.

For materials, I used paint gloss and colored it accordingly. The red of the eye is a slightly lighter color than the red beak. I was thinking about colored porcelain at the time, but I didn't like KeyShot's porcelain texture as much as the paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment