Sunday, January 22, 2017

Brandon Wehenkel: Mandarin Duck



 Black & White


Color


Concept:
If you google Mandarin duck you can see a bunch of very vibrant and pretty ducks.  Looks like the most colorful duck I've ever seen.
I like seeing those photos of cute animals in places you don't expect them to see so I wanted to make a duck in a flower pot.


Keyshot 1

Modeling Techniques:
I followed the tutorial for the head.  I used rebuild, projected curves, and trim, on the head and neck and used blendsrf to create the connection.
I spent an excruciating amount of time on the head.  I was looking at this image, and this image to make the model.  I used the 3-point eclipse to create the flowerpot.
I duplicated and resized/rotated the body to make the wings and the extra protruding feathers you see when the ducks swimming.  These organic shapes are still quite difficult for me to create.  I find myself individually moving control points which takes a very long time to do.  I need to find a better way of making complex shapes.


Keyshot 2

Materials:
I used various colors of velvet for the bird.  I changed the colors to match similarly to one of the images linked above.  I used black hard plastic for the eyes.  And red hard plastic for the beak.  I used ceramic and changed the color for the pot.  And I used rippled transparent water and changed the water settings as followed:
Refraction 1.33
Transparency .2
Scale 4.045
Bump Height .2
Levels 5
Falloff 1


Keyshot 3


No comments:

Post a Comment