Monday, January 30, 2017

Michelle Ignacz: Week 03 Flashlight

Flashlight Layers

Flashlight No Edges

Flashlight Side View

Aerial View


For original design I was going based off of the intent to create a type of tactical flashlight shell. As I continued work and create a type of lattice design on the grip, my flashlight began to look more like a rook piece than anything else. From there I decided to just design my own personal rook and take it from there. It brings back essentially the tools I used from the castle project full circle again.

For modeling the flashlight shell, I created the shapes I wanted to use for the basic design and then went over them with a curve line to get the basic outline of the shapes that will be used. From here I used the Revolve command to rotate the design full circle around the rotational axis. Big note to anyone else, use full circle instead of 360 degrees, it will not do a full rotation and stop short about .002 degrees! This make using the boolean process impossible and fail each time you attempt to use it!! From here I created a lattice design using the curve line again and project it onto the outer shell of the flashlight and used Pipe to give it some depth. Duplicate the pipe a few times and we have a nice grip for the flashlight. From here I did have some issues, but found my solution as I used BooleanDifference to subtract the pipe from the main body of the flashlight to give a hollow appearance from where the lattice used to sit. From here the design intent changed and I started to add more rings and jewels to adorn the body and added a crown to the top and a larger base to the bottom to help balance out the design. On the crown I used Trim to subtract spheres from the cylinder to help round it out and give it its appearance. After the whole design was done I went back and proceeded to use FilletEdges to give the body more roundness and soften up the edges.

On materials, I tried to stick to the style of a stone rook piece and gave the main body a Travertine stone material for the outer shell and a Travertine Rose stone for the inner shell. I used 14K Gold Brushed metal for the rings on the top of the rook and Platinum spun for the rings around the gemstones. For the gemstones I used Gem Stone Ruby and Gem Stone Diamond to pull off the elegance and the idea of a rich man's chess set. I tried messing with the idea of what to use for the base and main crown and ended up choosing Gem Stone Diamond again because I love the idea of being able to see through the top and bottom of the piece. It makes it all the more shiny too!


UPDATE:


I choose to stick to the original material choices upon painting up the flashlight shell but I ended up cutting off the top gems in favor of a more simplistic rook model. I used acrylic for the painting and tried to give it the appearance of a marble effect with red stone marble splayed across the piece. It was actually really fun to paint up and create.

No comments:

Post a Comment