Sunday, April 30, 2017

Lisa Brasier: Waffle Lamp

 
 
 

 
 

 
I wanted to create a lamp that was both simple and elegant.  After doing some research on lamps, I found a style that I really liked and wanted to put my own spin on it. I drew up some designs and decided on making a desk lamp.
I started modeling by blocking in the shape of the lamp. I used primitive shapes like a triangle for the roof, a rectangle for the body that would hold the light bulb, and a cylinder for the stand. Since we would be using commands like contour and section, I got to keep these shapes mostly as they were. I drew curves onto the rectangle and used extrude then Boolean difference to create the windows. For the stand, I went into side view and drew a curve leading up to the rectangle. Once I was satisfied with how it looked, I used revolve and cap.

I went with plywood so the lamp would be sturdy. I painted it black using acrylic paint and added a glossy varnish on top. I made the mistake of painting the pieces before assembling it because the paint made the pieces too thick to fit together. After gluing all of the pieces together I cut sheets of tracing paper and added them to the windows and roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment