Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Anisha Chaudhary Week 12: Architectonic Lamp

Concept:
For the grillage lamp, I wanted to make a simple piece that I could construct easily, since this is my first time creating this. I like simple lantern shapes so I thought I would start out with that. I then made it a little bit more unique since I made it have curves like a flower. I made my piece symmetrical and used many panels to cut out light as much as possible. The center is a straight cylinder that is cut open with a grid all over it.

Modeling Techniques:
I started with a single parabaloid. I then used the Array Polar command to duplicate this shape around the origin. I combined the objects together. I used Boolean Difference to take out the center, which was 5 inches in diameter. I then proceeded to the steps of contouring and splitting to create my panels. I created 10 Radial panels and 6 Vertical panels. I made the bottom panel have a 1" opening so that I had the option of adding a light source. I used the pipes to create the notches, which are about .19" since the plywood is that thick. I then used the split command to take out the notches. After laying out my panels using the Massive Unroll script on e-learning, I took the model

Materials:
In keyshot I used an emissive light on the lightbulb that I found online. I used Walnut for my wood, and rubber tire for the chord.
I used the same material that I used for my serial slice project. I bought Cherry Plywood from home depot since it has a beautiful color. The sides where it is burned contrasts well with the face of the panel.  Instead of an electric light, I decided to use a tealight candle to put inside of a vase that would be placed in the center of my piece. I was very happy to find a vase that was the same height as the center that complimented the flower shape of the lamp. I may try and experiment more by putting beads to hold the candle in place and add pops of color.


















No comments:

Post a Comment