Monday, April 10, 2017

Michelle Ignacz Week 12: Waffle Core Lamp

2D Drawing (will add to final render once Illustrator behaves)

No Naked Edges

Side by Side Comparison and Material Assignment

Cut Sheet

Shot 01

Shot 02

Shot 03

Upon designing the lamp I took ideas and concepts from Victorian lamp shades to get a generalized shape of how I want the shade to look like. I liked the idea of how a lot of the shades had tassels on them and had organic curvy shapes so I really wanted to incorporate that design into my work.
Upon modeling, I created a free-formed curve that I wanted as the basic curve for the lamp and revolved it around 360 degrees to give me a working base. From here I extruded the original curve of the base model and then polar arrayed it around the center of the base for about 7 times. I then boolean unioned the two pieces to give a solid object to work from. Noticing that the inside was pretty thick, I created a cylinder, fillet the edges, and boolean differenced it to give a clean, smooth, thin inside of the shade. Still wanting to keep the tassels in mind, I created a long thin cylinder with the top filleted and polar arrayed it around the base about fourty-two times, deleting the ones that appeared in the extruded pieces, and boolean difference the pieces out of the lamp to create my desired tassels. I may end up having some difficulty on the assembly due to this but I really liked the idea of having them in the piece. From here the base concept of my piece was finished and I could start turning my model into a waffle structure based off the demonstration done in class. Upon construction of the pieces into my radial surfaces and contour surfaces, I noticed that the tassels I wanted were not going to work my original design concept and had to be removed. While a bit of setback, it actually improved of the design personally and made it reminiscent of a jellyfish/ fire brazier. As I continued to lay out my pipework I begin to notice that I may have some difficulty on how thin the laser may cut my wood. The smallest piece may be around 1/32 of an inch. I may need to go back and get confirmation on what the smallest working piece may be allowed for the laser machine...Will probably go back to increase the size later.
For working materials and Keyshot materials I wanted to keep it basic so I could get an idea as to how the final form will appear as. I used dark oak and light oak to keep it close to what it will look like after being printed out. I inserted a light as well so that it could be seen as to how the finished lit version would appear.

Update: So for the material for the physical model, I used a 1/4 inch plywood and jute rope. I cut the shapes of the plywood and bought a light bulb set with cord and installed it in as I constructed it. I did not glue the pieces together in the chance of the setting ever needing to be replaced. To hold the pieces together, I wrapped a rubber band around the bell middle of the lamp and then tied jute rope around it to hide the band. I then braided some extra rope to give it a more aesthetic appeal to the rope. The physical model is different from the digital model in the process of readjusting the pieces, I was able to bring back some of the pieces I had to originally cut from the final product. I must say that it looks much better now with the pieces back.
Finished Lit 01

Finished Lit 02

Finished Unlit

No comments:

Post a Comment