Saturday, April 29, 2017

Brandon Wehenkel: Waffle Lamp



Ghosted Black


Ghosted Colored


 Ghosted Black and Colored


Concept:
My initial idea was to create a lamp with a lid that also doubled as a frame for my engraved object.  However, with the numerous times, I restarted and changed my idea I had to ditch the idea of a frame for the lamp.  So I made a separate object which I talk further about in my engraving blog post.

I was inspired by Quinn Baldacci's rocket lamp with the lid.  I thought that was an ingenious idea to create a cavity for the light bulb while also keeping a design seamless and uninterrupted by large holes.  I created two designs that integrated the lid aesthetic. First was recreating the idea from Quinn Balacci's rocket and second was the bell shape inspired from Taiwanese Buddhist Temples known as a Pagoda.  I used an actual A-Frame design for the body of the lamp.

I saw the pyramid shape in Tamara Brennan's pyramid lamp and DISENO Y MANUFACTURA DIGITAL CAD/CAM's clear (acrylic) hanging lamp.  Their waffle style was what I wanted to replicate: using the corners as the rib for the horizontal cuts, plus the hanging lamp was gorgeous.  I would have enjoyed incorporating chains into the project, but I made a decision to make the lamps static on a flat surface instead.  I didn't have to worry about gravity and all the annoying small holes for the chain links.

I also was planning on using two materials for this project, so I also needed to figure out which ribs and which cuts were going to be what material.  Unfortunately, acrylic sheets are not cut to a traditional thickness measurement that matched wood sheets, so I had to be precise about where my inset slots were going to be.


Laser Cut Sheets


Modeling Technique:
I used polyline a majority of the time to create unique shapes.  I used curves to create an A-frame which I then polar arrayed 10x to get the style I wanted with a the flat triangle/ asymmetrical rectangle, I Boolean Unioned, Boolean Differenced, Boolean 2 objects multiple times.  I used project to slice the lids and the base.  I alt tapped to duplicate shapes.  I used spiral, twist, and pipe to create the light bulb inside as well as Interpolate Curve.  I used revolve to create the lid.

I had a hard time deciding which style I wanted.  I was going to make a frame for my engraved tile that was built into the lamp, but it just looked ugly.  I spent a lot of time deleting and revising my ideas.  The three styles were mostly from manipulating array polar and boolean 2objects.  I really wanted to incorporate an A-frame style into the design with a pyramid.  I ditched the pyramid idea because it covered up a lot of the triangles that were created from the polar array also I used contour multiple times with many failures with that pyramid shape.  Contour was used after I figured out which design to work with.  I have two materials, so I alternated the lid and the base as wood for a size difference of .1875 inches apart.  And the middle part which I call the torso is .220 inches apart.  I hope that small difference in thickness won't matter.  I felt like I might have messed up somewhere in deciding where to cut due to the size difference.

I used surface --> planar curves as well as extrudeCrv several times in the contour and section process.  I messed up a lot and needed very precise measurements when creating the complex waffle structure.  I followed the tutorial, as well as the class discussions.  I used Orient for the piped ribs.  I used split to cut them.  Again I might have messed up somewhere, so I'm hoping the print works.  This design is very abstract to me, and It has become an ordeal for me when I can't quite figure out how the slices will fit.

I also hope the hole I created for the cord works as well.  I didn't like that the cord could just freely sit anywhere through the design, so I had to create a base for the lightbulb to sit in.


 Keyshot 1 w/ Reference


 Keyshot 2


Materials:
In Keyshot:
I used glass for the vertical pieces and the glass on the lightbulb, I used hard plastic for the lightbulb base and soft plastic for the cord and textured wood for everything else.  I changed the colors of everything except the glass.
I liked the bump on the wood, so I made it slightly more pronounced.  I think originally it's at 0.5, I just bumped it up to 0.6.


 WIP


In real life:
2 - 24" x 48" x .220" sheet of acrylic, $56 each
5 - 24" x 48" x .1875" sheet of MDF.  $7.42 each (didn't end up being .1875 for all of them)
Home depot advertises, Medium Density Fiberboard (Common: 1/4 in. x 2 ft. x 4 ft.; Actual: 0.216 in. x 23.75 in. x 47.75 in.) and even that is still wrong.
Westinghouse Snap-in Candelabra base socket, 6'.
1 LED Lightbulb.
1 bottle of Gorilla Glue
3 bottles of Locktight Super Glue
Tears


Keyshot 3 w/ Cut Sheets


This lamp design was definitely not for beginners.  I had experiences I will never want to reproduce again. MDF is not worth the effort.  It's too fragile, and Home Depot does not cut every 1/4 slab the same.  I had 3 different sizes when I bought 5 boards. Needless to say, none of my slots worked with MDF.  It just broke or became very brittle. I think one vertical piece survived intact.


Lamp 1


 Lamp 2


Lamp 3








No comments:

Post a Comment