Sunday, April 30, 2017

Michael Creamer: Waffle Lamp


Concept: My idea was to make a simple and small lamp that I could suspend from the ceiling above something. My inspiration for the lamp was the classic UFO wide cone shape with a light coming from the bottom to pick up cows and stuff. Eventually I would like to find a way to suspend this above my desk.

 

Technique: I began by drawing a curve the shape of the side. I revolved that curve to make the smooth shape. I then used the contour command to get the horizontal rings. I then took the vertical curve and duplicated it around the center. I then took the intersections, piped them, extruded the pipes, split them, and took the difference from each pipe piece and the corresponding plane. Next I laid out the planes flat, converted them to curves with silhouette and had it cut.


Material: I chose to use cardboard because it I appreciate how it is such a versatile material, also I'm poor. I especially like the way light shines through the ridges on the inside of the cardboard. I rendered the lamp in key shot with a wood texture because it was the closest texture with any visual appeal. For assembly, I started with one side piece and stuck each ring into it then systematically attached the other sides piece by piece. 


No comments:

Post a Comment