Sunday, April 9, 2017

Jeremiah Baker - Radial Lamp

render 01

render 02

extruded version
 with material assignments

original curve


piping

Concept:
      I was inspired by a cool illusion I found while exploring the internet. The illusion was a straight piece that fit into a curved hole. This is accomplished by placing the straight piece at a specific angle. When the piece is moved through the hole, it fits perfectly. Turns out, if you put a lot of these in a circle, you can see the curve. I thought it was really cool that you could make a curved shape from straight objects, so I designed my curve and built the lamp. I also thought it would end up creating some pretty awesome shadows.

Modeling Techniques:
      There were several iterations for this project. I wrestled a lot with the shape of the curve, eventually deciding on the one that would create a longer neck for the lamp. I then knocked out the filleting before I did anything else. Because this concept was a bit different that the example in class, I decided to go with a slightly modified technique to create the slots and cut lines. (because of how I created the model, there is not an original massing object. I did, however, include a screenshot of the original curve) I began by creating the extruded model, which was done by extruding the main curve and using 'arraypolar' to create the main shape of the lamp. The cylinders were just that, scaled, and placed where I thought they would fit to provide stability to the model. For the slots, I waited until I had my material and had measured its thickness, then I followed the piping technique as shown in class. Lining all of the pipes up was a bit difficult, but I found that if I lined up one set, I could just use 'arraypolar' with the same settings I used for the surfaces to get the other 15 in place.

Materials Used:
      I used the procedural wood texture for the panels. In rhino, I exploded the extruded surfaces so I could make the edges look burned, which I did by darkening the colors a bit. The base and wire for the light was a basic rubber texture. For the light, I used the warm area light set to 2watts. It was really bright, so this low setting helped keep it from being over-exposed. When processing the renders, I decided to use global illumination and ground illumination so the shadows could be seen. I also threw a depth of field effect on there because it makes the render look more realistic and clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment