Sunday, April 2, 2017

Jeremiah Baker - Laser Engrave

scaled layout for laser-cutter

full size layout for laser-cutter

3D concept



Concept:
     I wanted to create a base for my serial slice project, and I thought a laser engraved something would fit perfectly. I thought the make2D command example from class was really cool, so I decided to use it to somehow create an interesting base for the sculpture. I ended up going with a shadow kind of design. The model will stand on the base plate, and will 'cast' an engraved shadow onto it. Since we were limited on size for this particular project, I decided to use it to test a scaled version of my design, and since it wouldn't make much sense without the sculpture, I cut out a scaled version of my other project to go with it. (the class is all about prototyping, right?)

Modeling Techniques:
     I positioned the original elephant model in the perspective window at an angle, and then used the make2D command to create a flat version of just that panel. I then scaled the 2D version to look similar to a shadow and lined it up with the legs of the actual model. (this took some trial and error, having to reposition and create new make2D vectors) After I got the vector lined up, I positioned it in the reference window and applied all the necessary color assignments. I also used the text and hatch function to sign the work. (I though it would be fitting if I used the font called "elephant") I also scaled the original model to match the engraving and repeated all the techniques outlined in my serial slice project. When creating the layout for the scaled version, I wanted to be efficient with the material I already had, so I copied the layouts from my other projects as reference so I could accurately place the new cuts to avoid the spots that were already cut out.

Materials Used:
     I used plywood to create the engraving. I also sanded the edges a bit to give them a bit of a champher, and applied a stain to the wood to bring out the grain and give it some color. For the scaled serial slice, I used the same techniques listed in my original serial slice blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment