Sunday, April 16, 2017

Michelle Ignacz & Sam Vandygriff: Week 13 Pepakura (Work in Progress Part 01)

So for the final assignment, we were to pair up in partners to create a pepakura model for class. I had asked Sam Vandygriff if he would like to join up and agreed. Being unable to decide what to make, Sam let me create whatever for the model design. So the basic concept is that of a stag beetle head. I was planning on creating the whole body, but limited to only 300 polys I decided upon the head alone.
For basic modeling I started of a basic epsilloid and used boolean difference in conjuction with correctly paired up curves and other epsilloids to form the head. I then began to use some spheres to create a socket for the eyes on the sides of the head. I inserted the eyes and then created a socket for a type of pupil in the eyes themselves, all done by boolean differencing out a larger size sphere and inserting a smaller one in its place. From here I created a curve by using polyline and then used pipe with a larger radius at the base and a slightly smaller base at the bottom to start creating the horns and pincers. I inserted cones along the insides of the pipe and at the end to give the sharp edge appearance to the pipes and boolean unioned it all together. After this I began to create three more custom curves for the antennae. Using the same idea of making the base larger and the end smaller, I created three separate pipes going in different directions and then attached together. After all the minor tweaks and adjustments I proceeded to inlay some of the pieces into the head and fillet the edges to give it a cleaner look. Noticing that the front center of the head was off, I look online to see what I could be missing and realized I had forgotten and actual mouth for the beetle. I created three different sized epsilloids, aligned them up for a mouth shape and pasted them onto the head. After this, the basic modeling of the head for pepakura project was done.
From this point I gave the file over to Sam so that he may convert the nurbs to a low poly mesh that can be inserted into the pepakura program provided to us. I will update as I hear more about the progress of this step of the model.

No Naked Edges

Ghosted Top-Down

Shaded Side

Mesh Rendering of 300 Polys Top 

Rough Mesh Rendering of 300 Polys Side

Update: So with much work and some trouble both me and Sam had to play around with the mesh to get a proper form to work with in the Pepakura program and we had much work to do in the program itself. Here's a rough work of the model that Sam did for the Pepakura model from the Pepakura program. I will be going back later and fixing it...

Rough Cut Sheet Display

No comments:

Post a Comment