Sunday, April 2, 2017

Melanie Estes: Week 11 Laser Engraving

     Last semester my design in my engraved skateboard was mainly lines, so this semester I wanted to try doing an image raster. I played with some landscapes I had taken on vacation first. While my images were in high detail they did not dial down well into only a few levels. Instead I started looking at pictures I had taken of my dog; I had plenty of selection, there are over 400 on my phone alone. I found one that did well when converted to just black and white:

Hershey: in color

Hershey: black and white

     I edited out the background in photoshop. I then selected what was left, expanded a few pixels, and feathered by just one. I then filled this area with black to add an outline around his head. I used this in Rhino as a picture frame. My dog's name is Hershey, so I decided to put his face on a wrapper for a Hershey's chocolate bar. I took this image and traced around the outside using curves. I placed the image of Hershey on the right edge of the wrapper with the picture frame tool. I drew a curve around the outside to help define the border. I used this line and the outline of the bar to trim the excess from the image. I then used straight curves to cut out the squares of the unwrapped chocolate. To match the font exactly, I also wrote the letters using curves by tracing over an image found here. I laid out the letters to spell Hershey and copied and scaled it into each square. I also scaled it up onto the wrapper, and trimmed out the pieces where the wrapper was open and around the image. I applied some letters to the areas of the wrapper that were open at the same scale as the main outside piece. I warped them to fit the curves using cages and cage edit. I finally divided the lines among the 3 levels of engraving. I made the lines between the squares and outlines of the letters the deepest, the more detail lines medium, and the letters on the wrapper itself shallow.

Cutsheet

Ghosted painted black

Layer assignments

     I'm first going to have the entire piece cut out of a single piece of wood to test the rastering. My plan, though, is to have the pieces cut out separately so I can apply different color stains to the different areas. To show this, I hatched the parts separately and extruded them to different heights. I added 5 different wood materials in Keyshot and scaled them all individually. I used black walnut on the small letters, heavy grain wood on the chocolate, light oak on the large letters, procedural on the inside of the wrspper, and soft maple on the outside of the wrapper. The soft maple did not have a bump map so I added a brushed texture.

Render 1

Render 2

Render 3

Render 4
   
     To finish my piece, I used four different wood stains. I used black cherry for the darkest part of the chocolate, cabernet for the letters on the chocolate and the wrapper background, golden oak for the image and inside of the wrapper, and a worn gray for the letters on the wrapper. Because some of the areas for each stain were so small, I used paint brushes to brush it on instead of rubbing it into the wood. To increase the contrast of the image and made it sow up better, I rubbed in some black acrylic paint that was diluted with water about 4 times. I sealed the entire thing with with two coats of satin finish polyurethane.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

No comments:

Post a Comment