Monday, April 3, 2017

Lauren Barbieri Week 11:laser engrave



concept
I drew this last year and have been waiting for an excuse to use it in something. A running theme in all my sketchbooks is these monstrous wolf creatures that pop up every 3 months or so. 

techniques
first I imported it into photoshop and sharpened and contrasted the image, then I moved into rhino to create the lines using network curves. Which didn't turn out quite as exciting as I hoped, so I imported the curves back into photoshop and made copies and fiddled with opacity finally adding a layer of generated fog.


final design

concept for Materials
The panel of wood I will use is going to be split into 2 halves. I'll sand them lightly and stain both different colors. I think the actual finished product will be more subtle in the color difference and have it reflect color but this render was meant to show the variation of the color. I want to have a Finish with a reasonably high gloss to pop the color.
UPDATE:May 1, 2017
I printed it and lightly sanded it, but I have yet to find a stain or die that interacts with the wood quite the way I was looking for. Still, I think the unfinished, unstained version looks fairly impressive. 




No comments:

Post a Comment