Monday, April 10, 2017

Maizie Desmarais: Week 12 Waffle Lamp








Concept:

My waffle lamp was based off the shape of a normal lamp shade. I thought the dynamic shape in waffle form would really stand out while still being simplistic. Originally, I wanted to do a mushroom shape, but in the end I thought this worked out for the better.

Modeling Techniques:

It took roughly five different times for me to model this waffle lamp. I created the shape in Rhino with the rebuild tool on a sphere shape, then created a hole in the middle for the light to go in. I used contour and did every other inch to make sure I didn't have too many layers so it could fit on the wood sheet for laser cutting. Next I used intersection on the curves and piped them at .25 in (1/4) for my wood sheet sizing to fit. Afterwards I used the unroll script to layout each curve and extruded the edges by .125 on both size to make it .25 total for rendering.

Materials:

At first i thought plexiglass would look really cool for the light to shine, but in the end I chose wood because it's cheaper and I think it looks nicer. I also think it wood (ha get it?), it would look really cool with engraving/ laser cut designs on the wood for the light to shine through.


No comments:

Post a Comment