Monday, April 29, 2019

Andrew Rowan Week 13: 3D Scanning

Clay Object

Concept:
 The inspiration for this piece was a lighthouse. I wanted to take this idea and make it extremely organic as well as being able to see the spiraling stairs from the exterior. I made divots in the surface to suggest windows.

Technique: To make the original I used oven bake clay and molded that into the form. Then I set up my object using Scan Studio and did a 360 degree scan. I then used the drag and drop dots to align all the scans, refined the alignment and saved the file. Using Rapidworks I fused the scans together into a polygonal mesh. I then used the polish tools to clean up my model. When my object fused I had quite a few spot where the mesh had inverted itself and form "caves" under the outside mesh. After cleaning those out and smoothing the surface moved to the solidify tab and put a uniform surface over the mesh. I export that as an .iges file. I opened that file in Rhino closed one hole in the surface. I saved that as a .3dm file and moved it into Keyshot where I set up my render. I rendered that shot in passes and moved the layers into Photoshop where I made the final adjustments to my Render.

Final Render

Material:
I used anodized titanium polished green for this project. I used titanium because of it's durability and, like a lighthouse, it can weather many storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment