Saturday, April 13, 2019

Twinkle Shah Week 11 FlatFab Laser Cutting

Concept

I knew I wanted to create a modern architectonic structure. I wanted to use different shapes and make something that could be used as a building. However, I think that although it is building-esque, it wouldn't quite be practical as an actual building. I could see it more as an installation piece of artwork on display in a modern hotel, office building, or museum.

Ghosted Image Painted Black in Rhino

Layer Assignments in Rhino

Techniques

I started by laying horizontal and vertical structures from the bottom and working my way up thinking about how to make the structure taller. I used squares, circles, and some more organic shapes too. One mistake I made that I realized after assembling it was that I made the slots too close to the edges for some of the organic shapes. This caused it to be a bit fragile and it actually did break in my car, but I was able to improvise and use some tape to fix it. In the future, I will make sure to leave more than enough room for the slots to fit together sturdily.


Materials

In Keyshot, I assigned a translucent yellow glass to the horizontal components, and a solid blue glass to the vertical organic components. I made the vertical circles a clear glass. I placed the piece in an office building hanging from the ceiling with invisible fishing line. I think the way the light from the window passing through the clear circles, and through the yellow glass, but not through the blue glass, gives a cool effect and shows strong contrast in materials that work together well.

Hanging Installation Piece in Keyshot

Zoomed View of Piece in Keyshot



Here are some photos of the piece assembled out of the E-Flute Cardboard:








No comments:

Post a Comment