Sunday, April 28, 2019

Justin Chang: Week 13 Laser Engraving


Concept: The design I chose to be engraved onto my skateboard deck is a map of Dallas, TX. The inspiration for my selection is my major in Geospatial Information Sciences (GIS). Utilizing maps and integrating data within it is a crucial role in GIS. Examples of where this data is used ranges from digitals maps in automobiles, precision agriculture, and forest management.

Techniques: A screenshot was first taken of a map of Dallas, TX. The image was then opened in Adobe Illustrator to create a vector trace by utilizing the image trace tool. I used the rectangle tool to create a reference underneath the map to add the city name “Dallas, TX” with the text tool. The stroke was adjusted to 0.01 pt. I copied my work and pasted it within the setup file and cutting template provided. The only layers that were used were the reference and inner cut layers. The reference layer was used for the laser cutting bed, and skateboard deck and the inner cut layer was used for the map and the text.

Materials: A blank skateboard deck was purchased through Amazon and was sent to the machine shop to be laser engraved by their laser cutter.


Design

Engraved Skateboard

No comments:

Post a Comment