Sunday, April 14, 2019

Charlene van Zyl: Week 11 Polyhedra

Concept:
When I was browsing through the templates on the Polyhedra site, I noticed that the 3D forms were all very geometric and angular. I realized I could create an interesting look for my piece if I found a way to incorporate round shapes onto the flat faces. I envisioned the piece being used as a lamp of some sort, and decided to use a simple dodecahedron template.

Techniques:
When I opened up the template file in Rhino, I first selected all of the lines that would be the outer cut and put them into their own layer. I then selected all the lines that would be inner cut, set their linetype to dashed, and put them on a new layer. Once the template lines were correctly formatted, I started adding in the bubbles. Each face had between 1 and 3 bubbles of varying sizes, to add for some variety on a form with otherwise identical faces.


Materials:
This project was cut out on e-flute cardboard, but if I were to create it on another material, I'd use white and/or turquoise matte plastic to add to the minimalistic bubble theme.


No comments:

Post a Comment