Monday, April 29, 2019

Jacob Hunwick Week 12: Laser Engraved Skateboard

Concept: For my skateboard, I utilized an old design concept I created and converted it to a .3dm format from a pdf. This design is part of a 3 board series I created for my skateboard company Twin Boards Inc.. The two larger boards consist of large triangular shapes filled by small consecutive lines. The arrangement and shape of these forms is meant to resemble a tall cliff face. This being the smallest board, it is a playful mash up of the geometric shapes, and a playful organic figure.


Materials: Baltic Birch Wood, screen printing ink.

Process: First, I hand designed the board on blueprint paper, and created a wood press with my brother for our company. We then created about 12 prototype boards of this style. Next, I stained the deck with Jacobean stain. After this particular board sat in my garage for a few weeks, I decided to use it for this project and had this design laser engraved into the deck. Next, I coated the board in polyurethane with 2 coats sanding with fine sandpaper in between coats

Lastly, as my brother and I also screen print shirts, I took white printing ink and use a squeegee to pull the ink into the engraved gaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment