Sunday, April 14, 2019

Zane Alberts Laser Cutting

Zane Alberts: Week 10 Laser Cutting


Concept: Due to some personal issues with the way Flatfab functioned, I felt I could not utilize the program to its full potential. However, I did what I could with my skills and after a bit of messing around, I found a design I liked enough to use for this project. The idea is based around a non-aggressive manifestation of a shark. The idea is it would be on or near a beach and would act as a representation of the beauty of the ocean. I designed the curves to be soft and smooth so's to make it simultaneously less threatening and not painful to interact with in case someone touched or fell atop it.

Techniques: When crafting this in flat fab, I wanted it to resemble a shark so I ensured the creation was symmetrical on the x-axis. While being a somewhat abstract interpretation of a shark, there is a recognizable head, back fin, tail and tail fin, as well as the many fins on the belly of the creature. I wanted the creation to be able to stand upright so the fins can hold up the shark.

Materials: I decided early on that the shark would look good in glass, so I did my best to manifest that in Keyshot. Naturally, when showing off the beauty of the sea, the colors of blue and green are most prominent. I made the body and tail fin blue since they're on the same layer, while the rest is green bordering turquoise.



No comments:

Post a Comment