Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Marissa Hernandez: week 11 polyhedra


concept: I started off by looking through the site given to us to find which one I would like to make something out of. I came across this model of the Great Dodecahedron and it drew me to it because I like the fact that these looked like stars all over the model. I thought I could add neat designs to the stars to make them look like shooting stars, but when I got the model I had different plans.



rhino file

Techniques: I used Rhino to turn the paths into proper settings for laser cuttings. The outside lines consisted of outer cuts coded in a magenta layer. The reference layer was cyan to measure out the proper width for my cardboard. The inner cut consists of blue, dotted lines to make it able to fold when it comes out of the laser cutter. Then once I got it I changed my mind and folded it the complete opposite way instead of inwards to outwards. This made it look more like a rigid sphere, so I worked a different route. Using the whiteness of the cardboard, I accentuated it with a black outline of certain sides to abstractly show the negative sides.

Materials: For the materials  I only used the source of the library of different polyhedras to choose from. I then used the cardboard for the design to be cut out of.

polyhedra overall

one side of  polyhedra

No comments:

Post a Comment