Monday, April 15, 2019

Jacob Hunwick: Week 11 Polyhedra

Concept: As someone interested in mathematics, I chose a shape with interesting properties and applications. In plant biology it was recently discovered by mathematicians that cells are shaped like anti-prisms in order to fit together most efficiently and have structural integrity. Although this is not a shape a cell would take, it has walls that oscillate between concave and convex, similar to the anti-prism shapes of cells

Materials: For this project I used e-flute cardboard. After constructing the piece I added pieces of tan paper to the smaller triangular sides to add depth to the shape.

Process: First I chose a cutout of a hexigrammic anti-prism from this_website, and downloaded it as a pdf. Next I opened the pdf in rhino and formatted the file for the laser cutter.






No comments:

Post a Comment