Sunday, April 28, 2019

Charlene van Zyl: Week 12 Laser Scan

Concept:
I teamed up with Kaylie for the 3D scanning process. When we met up, she'd brought in two shells, and we decided to scan the more complex one because it could make for a visually interesting sculpture.



Techniques:
We started off with a 360 scan of the shell lying flat, agreeing that the shell's hole might not scan correctly. A few areas of the shells didn't scan well, so we decided to scan the shell standing up and align both of the scans to make it accurate. When we were finished scanning, we moved the file to RapidWorks, using the Mesh Buildup Wizard to fix and fill in the holes, as well as optimize the overall surface. Once we'd deleted some objects that were floating off the shell's surface, we exported it from RapidWorks to be edited in Rhino. Once I had the file in Rhino, I deleted a few odd shapes protruding from the shell's surface in order for it to look less abstract and more like a typical shell. I then brought the file into Keyshot. I lined up my model with the background with perspective matching and moved the light sources to match the setting. I rendered it in k pass layers, and used adjustment layers in Photoshop to refine the rendered model.




Materials:
With how natural the model looks, I decided to use a rough pine material for the shell, since that also makes it appear like a piece of driftwood. I used the photo of the dorms as my backdrop because I really liked the lighting in that photo, and thought it would be interesting to replicate that lighting on my model.


No comments:

Post a Comment