Sunday, April 28, 2019

Zane Alberts: Week 13 Laser Engraving

Zane Alberts: Week 13 Laser Engraving


Concept: I decided to choose a design close to my heart. I have always been a fan of the Harry Potter books, and one of the more recognizable symbols representing the series has been the mark of the Deathly Hallows. If you aren't aware of it, it's a simple design of a triangle encompassing a circle and a vertical line, each embodying a powerful magical artifact. It is this shape that marks the centerpiece of my skateboard engraving. In addition, I added the name of the symbol above it, separated by flames. Below are some abstract designs and shapes I felt filled the space well.

Techniques: I created a series of shapes using the simple shape tools in Illustrator, aligning them to the center of the skateboard using the ruler tool. After getting the symbol of the deathly hallows completed, I made the text using the tool of the same name. Following this, I started on the challenging task of making the flames. This was done with the pencil function, and took several tries to get the flames to a point where I was happy with them. At this point I added a few abstract shapes to help tie the piece together, and transferred it over to Rhino to get my design ready for engraving. 

Materials: A wooden skateboard deck I bought from Amazon, and the fine laser engraving tools at our on campus machine shop.



No comments:

Post a Comment