Monday, February 23, 2015

Brian Uretsky - Freeform Model

Freeform Model


This was another really interesting assignment where we were given the ability to design and print our own 3D printed model. I also found it fun to go between Google Sketchup, Autodesk Maya and Rhino 5 and saw how different programs approached different types of modeling.
The only limitation, other than cost which was $8 per cubic inch, was the printing space. The model was limited to 4x4x6 inches.

I did a lot of research online to see what other people have designed and printed themselves. I wanted to design something that could not be made easily by human hands. I wanted to build something that could only be printed by a 3D printer. I also want this design to be something that can be put on a desk or table top. To go with the general Star Trek theme, I wanted to make something sophisticated and interesting enough to see on the Captain's desk.

Below are several reference images I thought really stood out to me. I used these references as inspiration for my designs.

Reference Images found on Google

For my first design, I decided to jump directly into Maya to see what I could do. I wanted to do some kind of mesh ring, kind of like the two references to the left of the reference image above. However, I quickly underestimated the task and couldn't get it to look good. I scrapped this idea pretty quickly.


Test 1

My next idea was to recreate the hollow sphere. I tried different ways to punch holes in the sphere in Maya and Rhino, but it ended up being incredibly complex to the point where it kept crashing Rhino. I decided to move on from this idea as well.

Test 2


Test 2 (Wireframe)

The third test I designed worked out very well. This is was a model I had a lot of fun building. I first built a sphere, cut out every other face, then twisted it with the twist deformer in Maya.

Test 3

When smoothed, it created a very elegant shape. However, I didn't like all the empty space in the center of the model.

Test 3 (Smooth)

Test 4 (Smooth)

I decided to duplicate the model, rotate it 90 degrees, then re-scale it to fit its interior. It made the shape more unique, but I wasn't happy with the final product. I decided to move on from this idea as well.

Test 4 (Smooth)

Test 4 (Smooth)

Now I wanted to give the cube in the reference images a shot. I tried to start out in Maya but quickly realized in needed something more accurate to work with.

Test 5

I moved into Rhino and started building the cube piece by peice. I started with the cloest bottom right corner and mirrored it to the other corners. This cube was a lot of work and was extremely complicated to put together. However, despite the difficulty, I was very happy with the design.

Test 5

Test 5 (Render)

Test 5 (Ghosted)

This was a very unique design that would be almost impossible to make by hand. I decided that this cube would be my final product until I realized how much it would cost me.

The 3D printer was $8 USD per cubic inch. This cube was 4x4x4 inches. That means it was 64 cubic inches which would have put it at $512 USD.

I plugged my model into the 3D printer software and it calculated the cost to be $156 - still way over my budget.

Due to the cost limitation, I had to move on from this design.

Test 5 (Orthographic Projection)

Next I decided to try my hand at free-form modeling in Maya using different types of deformers.

Test 6

After starting with the cube and smoothing it out, I ended up with this model below. It's supposed to represent some kind of bird cage with four legs to keep it standing.

Test 6

I began to delete every other face to make it a see-through mesh.

Test 6

Test 6

I wasn't really happy with the outcome, but I decided to keep going and see if I can put something inside the cage.

Test 6

I tried to do something similar with the twisted sphere in the fourth test model. I started with a long smooth rectangle and used the Lattice deformation to manipulate its shape to fit the cage behind it.

Test 7

Test 7
This was the shape I decided to go with. It fit the general shape of the cage and looked pretty interesting.

Test 7

I duplicated the shape and rotated it around the origin to come up with the design below.
As soon as I created this model, I knew the cage idea wasn't going to work out. This was a far better and unique design.

I noticed, however, that this model couldn't stand on its own. I contemplated rotating it 180 degrees and making it sit the other way around, but decided to just build feet with it instead.

Test 7

Below is a screenshot of the foot design.

Sculpture

After rotating the updated design around the origin, this is the final product.

Sculpture

Sculpture

Sculpture

Sculpture

To make it more interesting, I decided to add the Twist deformer like before. I think it really worked out well.

Sculpture

Twist Deformer



Sculpture

Final Sculpture Render

I exported the model from Maya to STL and used Rhino to import the STL file to make sure the dimensions were correct.

Final Sculpture STL Wireframe

Final Sculpture Orthographic Projection

I chose to use polished aluminum in my render. The material is sturdy and lightweight. The reflections emphasize the curves and shapes.

Keyshot Render

Keyshot Render

Keyshot Render

Keyshot Render

Keyshot Render


After about a day in the bath to dissolve the support material, the cost only came out to be about $23 (a lot more affordable than my cube design).








If I were to make any changes, I would probably change the feed design so that it wouldn't take up so much desk space. Otherwise, I am very impressed with the results..





No comments:

Post a Comment