Monday, February 2, 2015

Chloe Ferris: Week 3 Castle

For my first project in Rhino, I decided to keep the model simple as I learned the ins and outs of the program. I followed the basics of the castle tutorial from the Rhino site, and then branched off to try and make my own models. I based the model off of a classic, 4-pillar style castle city, with a walled outside containing smaller buildings on the inside. I looked at references of small castle courtyards as well as children's toys of castles to get an idea.




In terms of modeling, I started out with basic primitives and worked from there. I tried to keep the overall design pretty rounded. In order to do this, I used cylinders as bases for all of the buildings, parabolic shapes for the roofing, and a parabolic base for the castle to sit on, with the only straight pieces being the walls and the flag. The buildings were hollowed out by using the difference tool to simulate the inside walls and flooring.



This was also my first experiment with KeyShot, so the materials are pretty basic. I used a weathered brass for the roofing material, drawing inspiration from old churches and curved metal domes on classic Eastern buildings. The buildings are covered with a rose colored stone, and the walls are the same stone material but in a slightly more tan shade. I used a high gloss, reflective black marble for the base in order to show off the reflections of the castle form and to provide a high contrast from the light colors used throughout.


No comments:

Post a Comment