Monday, February 2, 2015

Chloe Ferris: Week 3 Ducky

This ducky was my favorite modeling project from this assignment, and it was a lot of fun to tackle. I followed the Rhino tutorial for the ducky pretty closely, but I was really pleased with the result, and didn't want to change too much more about it. It is based off of a traditional toy duck, however with slightly bigger (and goofier) eyes, a plump body, and a thin, proud beak.




The ducky's base was made with two spheres, one for the head and one for the body. These spheres were then modified, and the control points were pulled around in order to create the organic shapes that show off the silhouette of a classic ducky toy. A curve was drawn and then projected onto the head in order to separate the bill from the head so that it could be colored differently when rendering. This method was also used to cut the tail into a separate object for coloration as well.




Originally I was going to go with a traditional, plastic ducky, but when I was messing around with the different materials, I accidentally dropped a gemstone material on the body and ended up really liking the result! I kept the blue gemstone for the body, and added an orange-rust colored gemstone to the bill and tail, to break up the color a bit. Because of the way the light reflects and bounces around the stone, it adds a lot of high-contrast shadows, which I liked. I used a very translucent white and black glass for the eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment