Sunday, February 1, 2015

Charles Person: Week 3: Flashlight

For this project I wanted to go in the direction of a kids toy more than an industrial or commercial flashlight. I had a vague memory of a flashlight that did this puppet show effect and wanted to attempt something like that. The ability to turn the mask so it's not in the way of the light and the jack o' lantern theme were ideas I developed while working on it.

The base flashlight casing was created with basic boolean functions following the tutorial. for the face on the front I used lines, drawing half a face, then mirroring it and extending the solid out from there. For the connection between the face and flashlight I created a simple cylinder with half sphere indents subtracted from the sides, with corresponding half sphere bumps on the flashlight casing.

For the materials I wanted to continue the theme of this being a kids toy, so I went with bright colors topical to Halloween. The translucent orange and green were chosen to evoke a jack o' lantern, with the green made of a softer material to help with gripping it. The hard purple plastic on the face was chosen to make it seem less breakable while staying with the overall Halloween color scheme.

 Ghosted
 Ghosted with layers
 Front render
Rear render

No comments:

Post a Comment