Monday, February 2, 2015

Stefan Babick: Week3 Flashlight

I wanted to build a practical flashlight with a highly gripping surface and adjustable focal length for the lens. I looked to flashlights around my house and found the ones I pack for camping and night hikes. All of them had wrist strap loops and rubberized surfaces around hard metal casings.

I followed the tutorial to create the basic form, but included a button well and grips around various parts of the housing. The Focal Length adjustment (ring near the front) was made with a torus. Cylinders centered on the edge of the torus were used to cut into the torus with Boolean subtract. I copy scaled this new shape up slightly then used it via Boolean subtract to cut the taper to the front and back of the first torus. Boolean subtract was also used to remove the handle grip rings near the button and to create the well the button rests in. A similar method was used to create the rear grip.

I used Black Polished Chrome with a moderate roughness value mapped via cellular to create a vulcanized rubber surface. The housing uses a Brushed Aluminum. The button is a simple, color shifted Rubber material.
Ghosted


Layer Division


Render One


Render Two

No comments:

Post a Comment