Monday, February 2, 2015

Chloe Ferris: Week 3 Flashlight

This flashlight is meant to be a simple yet effective flashlight for everyday use. I wanted to make sure that it would be durable, and still comfortable to use, which is why I included the grip piece to support the hand during use. I made the base flashlight by following the Rhino tutorial on how to make a basic flashlight, and then continued to add on more features. I drew a lot of inspiration from streamlined, sleek flashlights, as well as the ones that we were given in class for our next project.




The base is made out of a cylinder combined with a truncated cylinder for the lighted cap end. Another cylinder was added onto the end to create an end cap, where one would put batteries in, and then more cylinders were added across the body as accents. The button is nested inside a holster casing and is shaped to lay against the body of the flashlight by using the difference tool. I included five spheres pushed back behind the lens, inside the body, to simulate the light bulbs that would be inside of a flashlight.


In terms of materials, I wanted to go with a dark, reflective look overall. Because I wanted the flashlight to be durable, I used different metals. The body is made with a highly reflective black chrome material, and the accents are made with a classic chrome. The accents are also textured in order to break up the look and feel of the flashlight. The grip features a punctured black leather, which I feel like would be pretty comfortable to hold. Matte plastic was used on the button and button's holster. Overall, the lighting was a neutral light to show off the reflectiveness of the chrome.


No comments:

Post a Comment